John Buckler, (30 November 1770 – 6 December 1851) was a topographical artist and architect.
He is remembered for his many drawings of historic buildings. Shortly after 1800 he was commissioned by Richard Colt Hoare of Stourhead to produce ten volumes of drawings of churches and other historic buildings in Wiltshire. Buckler's grandson described this commission as "deciding his brains for antiquarian pursuits". It was followed by similar commissions from other antiquarians and by the end of his life, by his own account, Buckler had produced around 13,000 drawings of buildings. Many of the buildings Buckler drew had not been previously recorded, and many have since been demolished or substantially altered, so this is now a valuable source of information on British architectural history.His work was exhibited at the Royal Academy every year from 1798 until 1849, and he became a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London in 1810.
Skinner, in his diary, wrote of the visit of Buckler and his eldest son, John Chessell, to Glastonbury in 1825 where they met John Fry Reeves (who had recently bought the abbey) with John Warner (who was writing his History of Glastonbury) together with Colt Hoare and the Bishop of Bath & Wells. All were advising Fry Reeves on the conservation and development of the abbey and its grounds. Buckler subsequently designed Glastonbury Priory, later called Abbey House, in 1829–30 for Fry Reeves.
John Chessell Buckler (1793–1894) was also an artist and architect, taking over most of his father’s practice as he confined his activities more and more to drawing. John Chessell Buckler returned to Somerset in 1845 to build Butleigh Court for Henry Neville-Grenville, on the site of an earlier building.
The youngest son, George Buckler (1811–1886), also practised as an architect.