Roads & Properties
1844 Tythe No 369 Red Lion Inn owned by John Barnett and occupied by William Hiscox Back to Street
Mid C14 and later. Completely restored in 1810. Original large arched entrance flanked by buttresses. Vaulted side entrance and porters' lodge to north. The medieval upper storey of gatehouse is now missing. Pantile roof, 1 south end. The lodge is 2 storeys with a possibly C17 splayed bay rising t through both storeys. 10-light mullioned and transomed window. Crenellated parapet. The left-hand range continue to rear with mullioned windows. Small medieval archway, formerly the entrance to St Patrick's almshouses, attached to south end of range. 4-centred arch with heraldic device over. Lies within the Ancient Monument scheduled area.