Roads & Properties
1844 Tythe No 365 kitchen owned by Wm Benjamin Naish and occupied by Sarah Greenhill Naish Back to Street
Isolated in the grounds to the south of the Abbey Church ruins. One of the best preserved medieval kitchens in Europe, and the only substantial monastic building at Glastonbury. C14. Square with large curved buttresses to each side, stringcourse and cornice with grotesque gargoyles. 2-light traceried windows. Octagonal superstructure with pyramidal roof crowned by double louvred stack with bands of crenellation. Weathervane at apex. 4 vast arched fireplaces, with round smoke outlets above, are set across the corners inside. The ribs of the octagonal vaulted roof lead up to a circular outlet inside the stack. Contains some architectural fragments and furnishings from the Abbey buildings (other objects now removed to gatehouse lodge). Lies within the Ancient Monument scheduled area.