Roads & Properties
1844 Tythe No 273 house and garden owned by Stephen Holman Back to Street
The former pump rooms of the spa in Glastonbury are in Magdalene Street Opened in 1754 and were much frequented when for a short time the chalybeate springs made the town a spa.
Probably C17. Small row of cottages with end to street rebuilt as pump-rooms in 1752. 1 storey with attic in gable. Random rubble and brick with ashlar dressings. Gable-end has quoin pilasters supporting entablature and panelled parapet. In centre is a blocked round-headed arch with rusticated quoins and voussoirs. Sides are set back and have blind windows with moulded architraves and keystones. High moulded plinth. Part of return elevation has similar treatment, but with sash windows, glazing bars and round-headed entrance with flanking pilasters and triangular pediment. Semi-circular fanlight with intersecting tracery. Double doors of 3 panels each (2 removed and glazed). West part of building retains the original 2 storeys. Painted brick. Pantile roof. 3-light casements. Blocked-up archways. This was the Pump House where chalybeate waters were drunk during Glastonbury's short-lived popularity as a spa in mid-C18.