Roads & Properties

Abbey Barn

Glebe Parsons Barn

1844 Tythe No 488 Parsons Barn owned by John Fry Reeves and occupied by Valentine Down

To south-east of the Abbey grounds, on the corner of Bere Lane and Chilkwell Street. Relatively small in scale (approx 100ft long) but of excellent architectural quality. C14. Ashlar. Unaisled, cruciform building of 7 bays. 4 gables with traceried lights. Old tiled roofs with coped gable-ends supported by carved heads. Saddle- stones with carved standing figures and finials. Main gable-ends have central buttresses and triangular openings with hoodmoulds and cusped tracery. 2-light rectangular openings over depressed chamfered arches to porches. Animals on side buttresses of porches. Excellent carved roundels of the 4 Evangelist symbols to gable-ends. The walls of the barn have slit openings, with wide splays inside, divided by buttresses with multiple set-offs. 2-tier cruck construction with arched braces in roof. Scheduled Ancient Monument. High crenellated wall running east attached to north-east corner of the barn. Rubble with a band, and crenellated top of ashlar blocks. NOTE: Size 93ft x 34ft. Dated between 1343 and 1361
The new dendrochronology evidence suggests the current raised base-cruck roof was constructed using timbers most likely felled in the period AD 1334-44

Back to Street
Glastonbury Antiquarian Society, 48 High Street, Glastonbury, Somerset BA6 9DX - Registered Charity No: 309955
Website designed by Sean Miller - All images and text © Glastonbury Antiquarian Society 2017

Site Map