Roads & Properties
George and Pilgrims Hotel; George Inn c. 1475 Back to Street
1844 Tythe No 69 George Inn owned by John Fry Reeves and occupied by Margaret Booth
Late C15. Originally the Pilgrims' Inn, a hospice of the Abbey. 3 storeys. Whole front divided into 3 tiers of panels with traceried heads. Right of centre is entrance with 3-centred arched head. Above are 3 carved panels with arms of the Abbey and Edward IV. To left is 3-storey splayed bay with a 4-light mullioned window to each floor. Splayed piers with panelled sides at quoins. Moulded strings. Crenellated parapet with roof gables behind. Stone shaft and bracket supporting inn sign. Small bell-turret freestanding on parapet to right. Interior has stone newel staircase, panelled 'Abbot's Parlour', extensive cellars etc. Long range of post-medieval buildings attached to rear.