What does the Glastonbury Antiquarian Society committee do? We meet about six times a year to tend to society affairs. Although we are a small society, we have a number of important tasks to fulfil. They include:
- Keeping a watching brief on the Lake Village Field. We ensure that the lease and rent are up to date, and that our relationship with the tenant farmer is good and healthy.
- Looking after the Society’s collection of artefacts. This comprises those items on display at the Tribunal museum and the reserve collection in storage at Norton Fitzwarren.
- Working with Glastonbury Museum to organise displays and events. This includes the Lake Village collection, the town collection and stand-alone exhibits.
- Arranging a series of talks for the Society over the winter months. Subjects include anything relating to Glastonbury or Somerset, as long as the subject matter is historically based.
- Organising an annual field trip for Society members. Field trips tend to be reasonably local and include monuments, houses, churches and sites of archaeological interest.
- Any other business which arises during the year or is raised by the committee. We receive frequent enquiries and we consider all of them.
Our Chair runs committee meetings and formally represents the society. Our Secretary organises the committee meetings and our Treasurer prepares financial reports (these are fairly simple, as our income is purely from subscriptions and our outgoings are few). Our Membership Secretary reports on membership numbers. New committee members are encouraged to take on business items about which they feel confident and have the time to carry out. Please do email the Chair if you are interested. Use the address below or the 'Contact Us' tab at the bottom left of this page.
Dame Elizabeth Periam Gass, DCVO, JP
The Mayor of Glastonbury (ex officio)
Mr N Bonham & Mrs D Bonham
Mr M Brown
Prof B J Coles & Prof J D Coles
|Chairman:||Dr T Hopkinson-Ball
|Vice Chairman:||Mr N J Bonham
|Secretary:||Ms M Claridge
|Treasurer:||Ms B Walker
|Hon. Librarian:||Ms B Walker
|Membership Secretary:||Mrs K Wych
Ms B Walker
Mr C Driver
Mr D Miller
Mr W Wych
|Contact Address:||Glastonbury Antiquarian Society,
c/o Abbey Grange,
19 Magdalene Street,